How To Hang A Shelf
Fixing a shelf is a really common job that everyone can do themselves, providing they have the right set of tools hidden somewhere in the house. So if you’re looking at fitting some shelves in your home, here’s a few simple steps to get you started:
1. First and foremost, it’s really important to check for any cables in the wall you wish to fit your shelf to. By using a simple wire detector, you’ll be able to do this no problem – so be sure to have this handy piece of kit in your toolbox before starting!
2. You should also check for pipes and other obstructions behind the wall before you start. Some detectors will have this functionality built in so you can be sure you’re working safely – you don’t want to accidentally drill into a water pipe!
3. Providing you’ve found no wires or pipes, it’s time to crack on! First, find your desired height and mark with a pencil. After you’ve done this, use a piece of wood and a spirit level and mark a fine line where you want the shelf to sit. Make sure the spirit level is sat nicely in the middle – you don’t want a wonky shelf, do you?
4. Line your brackets up with this line and mark each hole using a small screw. At this point, it’s a good idea to double check your measurements, otherwise you might find yourself filling miscellaneous holes in the wall for the rest of the afternoon!
5. Next, drill out the holes where you have marked with a screw before inserting some screw plugs (NOTE – don’t drill the holes too big, your screw plugs should fit neatly into these holes and shouldn’t have any wiggle-room whatsoever!).
6. Line up your brackets and insert a screw in each hole – tighten using a screwdriver (manual or electric, it doesn’t matter as long as they’re tight!)
7. Attach the shelf to the brackets and revel in your awesome handiwork!