Facts about…Import Duty - Classification
Tracey Renshaw Import Export Support (International Projects)
- There are more than 16,600 different classification codes
- Classification of a product is based on what it is used for and what materials it is predominantly made from.
- Whether or not you have an agent who handles customs entries on your behalf, as the importer you have a legal responsibility to ensure the correct classification is applied.
- Incorrect classification can lead to; delays in clearing goods, over or underpayment of duty and even to penalties from HMRC.
- The Classification is made up of up to 10 numbers and is based on the WTO World Trade Organisations harmonised system.
- An 8 digit code is acceptable on exports
- All 10 digits are required on imports
For more information on Import duty please also read the following: