Youth Contract Scheme
It is 7 months since the launch of the Youth Contract, which means that the first cohort of employers will have earned their full 6-month subsidy of £2,275. The Norfolk Chamber would like to hear from businesses about their experiences of using the Youth Contract and barriers preventing greater participation. To submit your views, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We have also produced a brief, employer-friendly communication explaining the Youth Contract and how to find out more information, which can be found below:
Do you want to give a young person a chance to prove themselves in your business and claim a Government subsidy? With youth unemployment still unacceptably high, thousands of talented young people are available to help your company, but can’t get a first step on the ladder.
The Youth Contract provides support to employers to create nearly half a million new jobs or work placements by 2015.
- Wage Incentives: Hire an unemployed young person for at least 6 months through the Youth generation of talent and test a potential new member of your team at a reduced cost.
- Work Experience: Offer voluntary unpaid work experience to an 18-24 year old for 2-8 weeks without the hassle of recruitment. Support a local young person to get a real taste of a private business and learn new skills. You may even decide you want to keep them on. Contract and receive a £2,275 wage incentive (£1,137.50 for p/t position). Help develop the next
- Hire an Apprentice aged 16-24 and receive £1,500 from Government (if you have fewer than 1000 employees and have not employed an Apprentice in the last 12 months). The Government will also pay 100% of training fees for 16-18 year olds and 50% for 19-24 year olds. Apprentices are an investment in the future skills and growth of your business, and offer a great way to increase staff loyalty.
For the wage incentive or to offer work experience:
Jobcentre Plus on 0845 601 2001 (option 2) or textphone 0845 601 2002 for people with speech or hearing impairments.
For a £1,500 Apprenticeship Grant:
- Apprenticeships Norfolk Phoneline: 0344 800 8024 for further advice and how to proceed
- Apprenticeships Norfolk Website: www.norfolk.gov.uk/apprenticeships
- Call the National Apprenticeship Service: 08000 150 600